Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ficks Reed Fever

For the last few months Jennings and I have had a definite issue with rattan.  It has become a bit of a problem.  We were bitten by the bug and have the fever.  Full-on make you sweat, give you the chills and shakes, sometimes delirium inducing fever.

Rattan is certainly experiencing a revival of sorts.  You see it everywhere on blogs and home decor magazines and with good reason.  It can be used in so many ways- in natural tones, lacquered a fun bright color, or even simplistic white.  It makes for a relaxing atmosphere on a porch and brings a coziness to more formal spaces.  

We both recently purchased vintage rattan sets and have been working on restoring them to their former glory.  Although we made our buys separately and even in different states, they were both from famed furniture company Ficks Reed.


The Ficks Reed Furniture Company was founded in 1885.  They designed and crafted the finest quality designs utilizing wicker, rattan, bamboo, leather and select hardwoods  Their skilled artisans custom made each piece with an attention to detail, comfort, and craftsmanship.  Through the years the Ficks Reed company collaborated with some of the world's top designers including Dorothy Draper and Paul T. Frankl.  Their designs have furnished many prestigious hotels including The Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida and my all time favorite, The Greenbrier Resort.  

In 2006, Ficks Reed inked a deal with Carleton Varney to create a luxury line of wicker and rattan based on the original designs of Dorothy Draper for Ficks Reed in the 40's and 50s.  Sadly, after 125 years the company closed in January 2011.  While all good things must come to an end, you may  preserve a little piece of this furniture history by purchasing one of their designs.  They are certain to become highly collectible and more sought after because like land, they ain't making any more of it.

Ficks Reed Lounger and Ottoman Courtesy of House Beautiful




* Photos courtesy of In The Pink by Carleton Varney

The Dali Chair- part of the Carleton Varney for Ficks Reed Collection



On one of our many shopping trips, we happened upon this fab set of mid century Ficks Reed swivel chairs.  We loved them so much we just couldn't leave them behind.  They are pretty incredible but with Jennings and I both already having dining room sets and patio sets we really have no where to use them!  And since our husbands have had it with our hoarding we are putting them up for sale at Rogue Vintage




I was able to pull this brochure from the Ficks Reed archives.  It looks like they were making the swivel chairs around 1958 which would put these babies right on track with their early 60's mid century vibe.


They would be amazing lacquered a fun color or I would LOVE to see them painted black with the white cushions.  Alas, we will leave the new look to the new owner.  Dang it!  I need a bigger house.

Till Next Time,
Tricia







10 comments:

  1. That is so great that you have these. Im working on a house in Fig 8 and the husband specifically asked for rattan!! Hehee how much, these would be great in their Amazing house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a vintage bentwood sofa and chair. It looks like bamboo but there's no rattan. I think it might be Ficks Reed but it has no markings and I can't find anything on the net like it. If I sent you pics do you think you could help me identify it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very sorry for the delay in response! I just recently read your question and Blogger has been a bit of a spazz lately. I would love to see any pics you would like to share. I will also attach a link that I found to the Ficks Reed Archives while doing my original post. Perhaps it can help identify your set. Best of luck!

      https://ficksreed.webfeatsecurity.com/catalogue.aspx?COL=31

      Delete
  3. I wrote a book on Rattan and how to define it .
    Harvey Schwartz
    http://www.tropicalsunrattan.com/servlet/the-4/Rattan-Furniture-book/Detail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a truly unique dining room set ficks reed vintage early 60's lacquered in bright yellow that was my mom's. I can't find the value and may have to sell. The table has a leaf. Has original Ficks Reed palm tree label. Any info would be great! Thanks. sgk6mos@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Just bought a big collection of flick reed set its huge it has two chairs one huge couch or day bed style chair two foot rest and two end tables and a coffee table with great shape cushions how do i find the value of this set please help me they were bought at a auction. Ill send pics if that helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 1950s full set of ficks Reed rattan furniture. In family since 1950. Beautiful lines. 9 pieces including sofa, 2chairs, 2 coffee tables, 2 end tables and 2 lamps.Would like to sell. Any feedback you received on value would be very helpful. Unfortunately for me, need to sell. Thanks. Also, any info on where to sell would be great. Thanks respond to nlcohn@aol.com

      Delete
  6. I have ficks reed dinette set bought ftom the warehouse in Cincy just before they closed in Dec 2010. I also have a complete sofa/loveseat/chair/ottoman I believe is Dicks reed bought late 80s. Did they 3ver sell out of jc penneys?

    ReplyDelete
  7. can anybody provide a good source for replacement cushions that are true to the thickness and firmness of the original Ficks product? I just aquired a couch and loveseat and need good cushions. Thanks - Gerard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this Blog still active?
    I’m in search of someone who can restore 6 Ficks and Reed kitchen swivel chairs? They don’t swivel so easy anymore. The table is in good condition.

    ReplyDelete