Monday, October 29, 2012

Mid Century Gravel Art for Suckas

While finishing off my ritualistic Sunday night post Boardwalk Empire wine I decided to do a little web cruising and check out the vintage sale on One Kings Lane.  Less than five rows down I stopped, gagged, and spewed said wine on my husbands nautical knot boxer briefs (circa 1995) that are posing as tonight's PJ's.  $599 Retail?  $275 Our Price!?!  Somebody drank the Kool-Aid and actually bought these biotches.  





Now I am not at all shocked that these were purchased.  They are FAB.  I know because I own this exact pair myself.  Gravel Art kits were all the rage in the 60s.  There is a great article on it HERE .  It will suffice to say that my pair did not cost anywhere close to the OKL price tag.  And this is where my panties get in a bunch and my wine gets spewed.  $275?  Truly, WTF?  

I love One Kings Lane as much as the next home decor shopaholic.  I have even thought to myself, "We could sell our stuff on there... our stuff is that good".  But what bugs me is to see the exorbitant prices that are designed specifically to take advantage of the poorly educated "vintage" consumer.  The consumer who thinks that it is in vogue just because it is featured on OKL.  THAT is what bunches my panties.  THAT is what causes my wine to spew.

This pair costs nowhere in the realm of $275 and most certainly not in the galaxy of $599.  It leads the less experienced consumer to believe that all people selling "vintage" are trying to take advantage of the current trend.  My experience in this market, and I have a lot,  is quite the opposite.  Most reputable dealers are just trying to cover their costs and make a slight margin - not take you to the cleaners. 

Now because I am a cosmic Karma kind of girl.  I am going to do those interested a proper favor.  Instead of bending over and grabbing your ankles on OKL, take a peek at the links below.  You're welcome.  I have never been much of a sadist but for those who thrive on the pain and humiliation I may just be coerced into giving you a whack or two for sh*ts and giggles.  Complimentary cocktail provided, appointments strongly recommended.




*Great deal on these.  They are more rare than the other versions and I would snap them right up myself if my husband had not already banned any future use of Asian inspired thingy's in the home.  


Velvet Birds

And just to show we are not jumping on a trend bandwagon but are precursors to the trend, you could pop on over to Rogue Vintage and check out this little chicken.  He has sadly been in storage anxiously awaiting listing since his purchase in early August.  


What can I say?  Busy summer turned busy fall.  Oh, and his sidekick will be listed next week.

Till Next Time,
Tricia

2 comments:

  1. I am looking for a kit to make. Can anyone advise please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes been looking for years
      Remember when my mom used to make them herself I would like to do it myself are their any kits out there.

      Delete