Monday, September 10, 2012

Non-Buyers Remorse: The One That Got Away

Here I sit at 12:31 AM on a Sunday evening/morning unable to sleep and filled with anxiety.  This weekend I let one get away.  A big one!  I am sick, perplexed, agitated, and completely and utterly wallowing in the mud.

When we shop for vintage both personally and for the site, we generally go with our gut.  Sometimes we buy based on trends, staples, or seasons but we always rely on our gut.  Would we wear it?  Do we love it?  Can we see this working on someone else?  Buying vintage is much like art- it must speak to you.  I know these things.  I have been buying vintage for YEARS. This is nothing new to me but still, one is never too old or too well seasoned to learn a lesson.  And that I did.

While out and about this weekend I came upon a particularly interesting belt buckle.  It had everything going for it.  It was gold, an animal motif (which ALWAYS sells), big, gaudy, and nice and heavy.  The quality was evident.  I was in a hurry and the item had not yet been priced so I took a photo and decided to think about it.  After all, there was no rush right?  I mean, who else would be in the market for a gold lion head belt buckle that was missing the belt?  I didn't really worry about it the next day and didn't even remember it until I was scanning my photos of the weekend over coffee on Sunday morning.  I had taken a quick pic of the copyright mark on the back of the buckle "C.Ross 1976".  Hmmm...Obviously old but who was C. Ross, I asked?  Well, I found out pretty quickly.

Christopher Ross, a native of New York, has been sculpting belt buckles since the early 70's.  His pieces are not for the fashionably faint of heart.  They are all hand sculpted, polished and plated in museum quality 24 karat gold and sterling silver.  His animal designs were wildly popular in the 70's and 80's but have regained popularity due to Patricia Field's use of them in Sex and the City the Movie in 2008.

Oh, yeah.  My girl wore one.  An elephant to be exact.  The Carrie Bradshaw gold elephant belt buckle.  At this point everyone can pretty much guess what was running through my head.  A not very ladylike word that I am all too apt to use.  Starts with an "F", ends with a "K", four letters, and was followed by about 25 exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I paced the floors anxiously awaiting my husbands return from an errand.  I couldn't go and get it until he returned.  WHERE was he?  What could I do with my kids?  Leave them with a neighbor?  Have a neighbor come over?  What, what, WHAT!?!  By this point complete hysteria was setting in.  I almost ran poor JD over as soon as he graced the driveway- armed with my purse and an extra large ice coffee.  I rushed to my secret spot and blew through the door with a fury.  All to no avail.  The belt buckle had sold the day before.  I wanted to vomit.

The lesson here my lassies is to get while the gettin's good.  With vintage, in particular, it is very rare to randomly run across high quality collectible pieces.  The recent demand for vintage has made it especially scarce.  If you find something that speaks to you, listen with both ears...and buy it!  It just might be your only chance.


My lost love.


The clue, AKA, copyright.


More Christopher Ross genius.  Photo courtesy of Vivre.com


Vivre December 2011 Issue. 


Nope, you're not seeing things.  That price does say $985.  Gag, vomit, just kicked myself in the ass- AGAIN....Cry, take sip of cocktail, REPEAT.

Till Next Time,
Tricia 


1 comment:

  1. Argh I can feel your pain, a similar scenario happened to me. A vintage large satchel lizard handbag that I hesitated and as soon as put on the shelf an avid fashionista grabbed as a trophy, all in front of my eyes!
    "Ahhh noooo! I had in my hands, why why why did I let it go"
    That thing still haunts me to this day :(

    ReplyDelete